Saturday, May 29, 2010

They're HERE........

It's been 7 weeks since our home study. It took awhile to get officially licensed. Apparently the home study 'studiers' conduct and write the studies on their own time. It's like an extra job and can't be typed up while working regular hours at the agency. That's why it takes so long. Well, that and that it's 30 pages single type. After it gets typed, two people at the agency have to read it and proof it. This, apparently takes even longer! On Thursday morning we got an email saying we were being officially licensed that very moment and that it would take the state of Texas 24 hours to issue a number to us.

Only a little more than 24 hours later, we got a call! I was in Dallas doing a wedding partie's hair and makeup (or about to walk in to it) and Jim was in Alvarado in a court hearing. My mom was watching Caton.

The call was calm and polite. The agency has a 'placement coordinator' who does these calls, so you're not talking to the people you've come to know at the agency. She simply said, as if it's not a big deal at all, "we are having a hard time placing a sibling group due to the age gap. The girl is 12 yrs old and her baby brother was born yesterday. We thought of you guys and thought you might be able and interested." To which I responded "Uh. Ummm. Okay." With all the grace and articulation of Beavis or Butthead.

Jim got home first, around 7pm and started to wash crib sheets, pull out baby gear and dear friends delivered food, diapers, clothes and other essentials we were lacking.

The CPS worker who drove the kids from the Houston area to Austin arrived about a quarter to nine and I arrived about 10 minutes later. Very odd to walk into your home where children are waiting for you already. I had REALLY wanted to greet them with both of us home. But, it was much more seemless than I thought. My darling husband was holding the baby and the girl was checking out her room. We did paperwork for what seemed like 2 hours. I was on an adreniline high, for sure! We learned a lot, but still feel like we know very little.

We were permitted to let her call her mother and grandfather this morning. Her mother and I spoke and she was very kind, grateful and concerned about her kids. It all seemed very genuine and she asked the right questions to show real concern and thanked me and said she will set things right.

Today has been pretty fun. We had a great big breakfast together, blueberry waffels (homemade by my loving husband) and turkey bacon. My sweet mother ran to the store for syrup when we realized we had none.

Caton met the baby and his big sister and is intrigued. She seems to be showing off a bit for them. She gently (well, sorta gently) touches the baby and hasn't quite warmed up to big sis yet. Overall, she is doing fine with the whole arrangement.

We had a massive shopping trip to buy new clothes for big sister and some groceries and other necessities. Her clothes smelled pretty bad and she only has t-shirts and hole-ridden jeans. We bought her a swim suit, shoes, a dress, skirt and some cute tops. She also got new PJs and underwear. She was not greedy at the store, but offered her opinions when asked what she liked. She sings in the car, which is adorable and she has my husband hooked on America's Next Top Model. Seriously, they just watched 5 episodes and are commenting as if they are fashion photographers!

Both babies and I had a big nap this afternoon and we are all down for watching the UFC fight tonight! I know....sounds like a lot of TV watching, but it's Saturday........and we are still learning to be comfortable around each other, although I'm far more comfortable than I thought I would be and I think we all are. Sorta seems like family already.

Thank you for your prayers and offers of help. We are doing exceptionally well, but won't hesitate to ask for help if needed!

God clearly orchestrated this whole thing and His love is overwhelmingly obvious in our home right now. He has given me peace and patience and energy, just as requested.

Please pray for the mother. This is just the sort of thing that leads one to her knees and before Christ. I ache for her more than I thought I could and I know this is the Holy Spirit offering supernatural compassion that I don't normally have. I genuinely want her to get better and be reunited....ONLY if it's healthy and safe, but none the less, to have her children back in her arms and a new life in Christ to share with them.

10 comments:

  1. So well written. Love reading it. So sad for the Mom...and the children. So happy that God placed YOU in their lives...even if just for a moment! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my prayers! Love you friend, thanks for writing. So excited to see how the Lord continues to work through you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! i am literally smiling from ear to ear!! have i ever seen a more beautiful picture of the Lord at work in and through another person? You truly glow Christ!! i am praying for that 12 year old girl! oh i am so thankful she has YOU who the Lord is choosing to use for a sweet season. Woww! her life will never be the same. You are such a beautiful picture sweet stephanie!! wow! praying for you all tonight! Also...my heart does ached with love and compassion for that momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Stephanie!! You've got just what you need for today and probably not one ounce more. This is a great beginning. And I can't wait to hear the story in between. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story. I am happy for you guys and will pray that all continues to go well for you and your new family members, that the adjustment continues to go smoothly, and that you can share the love of our Savior with your new family. Congrats and many prayers sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well put Stephanie! I was sooo excited this morning when we talked to mom about the new kids. Trinitie is so excited to meet them! I had chills just thinking that these helpless kids (ones that didn't even ask to be put in this situation) are now with the most loving family that I know! Even though knowing about this earlier, reading this blog again and again makes me smile over and over and well over and over. Our prayers are surely with you and Jim and the 3 kids. Can not wait to see you all in 2 weeks! Love you ALL very much I could cry!

    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. So young and they've already been through so much! I admire all that you and Jim have done to help these kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Steph. You are amazing. Good luck and I will be thinking about yall and praying for all. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazed and humbled to see God unfold in your lives. We are here for you girl- I keep asking folks what you need- I think you are about to be drowning in casseroles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless you and your family Steph!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading every comment!