Monday, May 2, 2011

Honeymoon is over

I now understand that the floral, fizzy, exhilarating love bath God gave me with these kids was necessary for me to endure the pulling of the plug and draining of the water because now I'm standing naked, cold and shivering with no towel.

Sweet holy Moses! What a day. We're back to reality. They went to school today. The morning ran smooth and according to the schedule we created. Pick up from school went well, I was 3rd in line and the kids were excited to see their baby sisters and Kayla and Kiera too. (the one and three year old I keep on M and F). They did their homework and a bit extra and then Max decided to sweep the dining room floor. Wow. Life is delicious. And then someone pulled the plug. Whining, bickering, fits, pouting, ignoring me, firm positions taken against a dinner they'd never had (pot roast) and incessant questioning was the death of a thousand cuts. None if this behavior is out of the norm for a six and eight year old, I'm sure. I just haven't had 8 years to prep for it and build a tolerance.

There were some beautiful moments but honestly, they just got overshadowed. I will share one. This morning, when I was still a warm and caring person I explained to the children who Osama Bin Laden was and what he did (they had no idea what 9/11 was) and that he was dead and this was great news. I mentioned we should celebrate. Someone said cake. I offered Dead Osama cupcakes that we could smash to celebrate his death. Morbid? Maybe. But they'll never forget 9/11 now (can you hear Alan Jackson singing in the back ground right now?)



I'm the only one that smashed my cupcake, but the kids retold me who he was and what he did without missing a single detail! I wonder if cupcakes can be used to teach algebra?

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, I loved reading your post, What an amazing journey you are on. How blessed you are and what a true blessing your family is to others. My prayers are with you as a mother of 4 I can guarantee that the morning routine will not always be easy. LOL! I will be praying for you all and staying tuned for the grace and blessings yet to come.

    Love and blessed be, Heather McMullen Thomas

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading every comment!